Requirements for Graduation
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! This page offers a comprehensive list of information and requirements for the semester preceding your graduation. If you have any questions, or cannot locate the information you are looking for, please contact our Baylor University Commencement website.
You can also download our "How to Graduate" PDF.
Run a Degree Audit
Running a degree audit will allow you to ensure that you have fulfilled all of your degree requirements. If you see any discrepancies, contact your Graduate Program Director. Click here for instructions.
All incompletes for coursework other than dissertation/thesis hours must be cleared before the oral examination can be taken.
Verify the Semester Deadlines
There are many deadlines during your final semester that you must be aware of and meet. These include, but are not limited to: filing for graduation, Dissertation and Theses defense, oral exams, and satisfaction of the foreign language requirement. Make sure that you mark these dates on your calendar. View the calendar
File for Graduation - (Masters and Doctoral Students only)
The window for filing for graduation for each term is:
- Spring Graduation: October 1 - February 1
- Summer Graduation: February 1 - June 1
- Fall Graduation: February 1 - October 1
- If you are a joint student, you must apply to graduate from each program separately.
- If a PhD student wishes to graduate with a non-terminal master’s degree, the student should complete this form so that we can open a master file. Once a file is created, we will let the student know and they can then apply for graduation for their non-terminal master's degree.
- If you have any other questions, please contact Alana Schaeper.
If you use student loans or other forms of financial aid to pay your bill you should file for graduation as early as possible so the Student Financial Aid (SFA) office can ensure your award offer for the upcoming year is accurate.
In some cases the Student Financial Aid (SFA) office may be required to make revisions to your financial aid awards. Award revisions are most often required for students graduating in December since most award offers are for the full academic year (fall/spring). If you have been offered financial aid for an enrollment term beyond your graduation term, please contact the SFA office to inform them and they will determine if revisions to your awards are necessary.
Purchase or Rent your Regalia
Degree candidates for master's degrees wear traditional academic dress which can be purchased online at the Baylor Bookstore.
Regalia for the Educational Specialist (EdS) degree is purchased through the Baylor Bookstore and should be in stock by the middle of the semester. Please contact the bookstore directly at (254) 710-2161 for any questions.
Be Sure All Forms Are Properly Submitted by Their Deadlines
Doctoral Students and Masters (Thesis) Students:
Thoroughly review the Dissertation and Thesis Process Overview for detailed instructions about the defense and submission process.
You can find this semester's deadlines and all relevant forms within our Dissertation and Thesis main page and subpages. Be aware that deadlines for this process begin at least two weeks prior to your individual defense date, and defense deadlines vary each semester.
For Non-Thesis Programs:
- Complete your Comprehensive Exams
- After your Comprehensive Exams:
- Confirm faculty submission of Results of Comprehensive Exam Form (Available only to faculty via OnBase). The Results of Comprehensive Exam Form must be submitted no later than 5:00pm on the last business day prior to the first day of Final Exams)
Check on Commencement
Walking - It is assumed that you will walk in the commencement ceremony. If you are unable to attend then you must let the Registrar's office know.
Diploma - Diplomas will be sent after the degrees are conferred. Graduates will receive their diplomas several weeks after the degrees have been awarded.
Transcript - An official transcript will be available after five business days from Academic Records.