Summer Dissertation Fellows
Summer Dissertation Fellow Program Information
As of Summer 2024, the Summer Dissertation Fellow designation is offered to six doctoral students, two each in the categories of Humanities, Social Sciences, and STEM. This program provides a reserved spot in the week-long intensive Dissertation Writing Lab, a $400 scholarship, and participation in a weekly writing support group throughout the summer.
To be considered, students must submit a letter of application and a letter of support from either their dissertation advisor or Graduate Program Director.
Applications are invited from doctoral candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Will be actively writing during the summer months (past the stage of extended periods of research or data collection)
- Already have or will have an approved proposal/prospectus by April 15.
- Anticipate defending their dissertation within the following twelve months
- Able to commit to all program requirements (see below)
Students who accept a position as a Summer Dissertation Fellow must commit to the following activities:
- Participate in the Graduate School’s week-long Dissertation Writing Lab (May 13-17, 2024)
- Commit to weekly meetings of a writing group with the other Fellows (can be virtual)
- Enroll for at least one dissertation hour
Through the link below, upload your application letter and include the following information:
- The title and topic of your dissertation
- A description of the dissertation and progress completed at the time of application
- A copy of your approved prospectus
- A statement of the impact of your dissertation research in your field and on society
- Your work plan for completing the dissertation
Applicants should also request a letter of support from either their dissertation advisor or Graduate Program Director. At the time you submit your application letter through the link below, be prepared to include the email address of your recommender. Your recommender will receive a link to upload their letter of support for your application.
Click here to apply for the 2024 Summer Dissertation Fellows program. The deadline is February 16.
Congratulations to our Summer 2023 Fellows:
Read about our Summer 2023 Dissertation Fellows in this Bear Tracks blog article.
- Eric Amouzou, Church Music
- Abigail L. Bodeau, Religion
- Richard Eva, Philosophy
- Bethany Gochnour, Curriculum & Instruction
- Katherine Goodwin, History
- Daniel J. Gregory, Preaching
- James (Caleb) Little, Religion
- Christina Olson, Religion
- Harrison Otis, English
- Ryan Ramsey, Religion
- Harrison (Clay) Smith, Religion
- Alison Trimper, Curriculum & Instruction
- Xi Zhu, Sociology